Looks good, I know.
I felt a bit bad for having denied him the joy of a real birthday cake and having made him suffer my half hearted effort, so yesterday I took the time and effort to bake a real, gooey chocolate cake (don't worry, I have ages till my next exam.)
The final result!
My aim was to make the cake look like a giant oreo. However the ganache didn't have time to solidify before I had to go over to his so I just had to pour it on and hope for the best. It might not look like much, but it is very tasty (if I do say so myself). Next time I'll definitely attempt to make a better ganache, but for a first try I was pretty happy!
M x
Recipe:
175g butter
175g caster sugar
3 eggs
100ml semi-skimmed milk
200g self raising flour
200g dark chocolate (the darker the better)
100g white chocolate
pot of double cream (approx 285ml)
Oreos
Heat the oven to 180 degrees (gas mark 4)
Whisk the butter and sugar together until soft. Add in each ingredient in order and whisk until smooth.
Melt the dark chocolate until completely melted (no lumps!) and stir into the cake mix. Pour into two cake tins and pop into the oven.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, leave for a for a few minutes to cool in the cake tins then take them out and leave them to cool on a rack.
For the ganache: heat the cream in a pan until it just starts to boil, then pour onto the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Leave for 5 minutes then stir until thick and creamy. Leave to cool until it is thickened (20 minutes is definitely not long enough even with the help of a freezer...) Put a layer of ganache on top of one of the cakes, pop the other cake on top so they look like a giant orea, then decorate the cake and eat it!

No comments:
Post a Comment