I very quickly learnt that girls who lift DO NOT get bulky! Weights are pretty much the only way to achieve that "tone" that everyone wants but can't figure out how to get. People regularly comment on how impressive my quads are and how toned my stomach is, and it's not just genetics or luck. A friend of mine was once surprised because when he commented on how muscly my back was I turned around and smiled and said "I know". He was surprised because we're taught to reject compliments and be modest about how we look. But why? I work bloody hard to look good in a crop top! Why should I then essentially deny my hard work?! Just because society says I should and it's immodest not to? No thanks. Modesty is overrated in that case.
I wish other girls would stop being frightened to get off the treadmill and pick up the weights! I've managed to get some of my housemates into the weights room, and I plan on becoming a personal trainer once I've graduated so that I can encourage other women to do the same. People often ask me for help but then don't listen to me when I tell them they won't get bulky. Hopefully when I'm qualified they'll start to realise I'm not just chatting nonsense. I want everyone to be able to be proud of their bodies! We all deserve to feel happy and confident with the way we look, and this is one of the easiest, and funnest ways to start.
Ladies, just try it for two weeks... I promise you won't regret it. Female fitness has become the most popular theme on instgram and it's not for no reason. Some of the ladies I follow for inspiration are Cee Fee Dunn (@ceefeefitness) who was my PT at home, Clare Fraser (@clariefraser) who is my insanely fit colleague at Sweaty Betty and also a PT, Ronda Rousey (@rondarousey) MMA champion and all round bad ass in the Expendables 3, and Jen Selter (@JenSelter).
Here's a video my brilliant PT Nathan made to inspire girls to leave their comfort zones. (check me out at the start and at 0.50) His isntagram is @nreid_fitness and mine is @MLB114 for more fun gym photos and videos.
M x

No comments:
Post a Comment